Saturday, November 10, 2012

Vegan Brownie - Take 1

Let me begin this by saying I am in LOVE with the vegan brownies at Whole Foods. These are sold in the bakery section, a single glorious serving and they have icing on them too. Since I can't go buy them as often as I would like I am trying to recreate them at home. This first attempt does not have icing I was too lazy to deal with that. They aren't bad but not as thick as Whole Foods and just well, not quite the same. But for a first effort they will do just fine. I'm sure they will get eaten. The recipe is compliments of the Vegan Zombie, one of my favorite vegan food blogger who does his in absolutely hysterical webisodes. Check him out when you get the chance at theveganzombie.com

I'll note my changes to his original recipe and the products I used.
First a preview in pictures.



Vegan Zombie Brownies

(indicates my changes/product)
Preheat oven 350
  • 1/4 cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread (room temp)
  • 1/4 cup Earth Balance Shortening (used another 1/4 c. of Earth Balance Buttery Spread didn't have the shortening)
  • 1 cup sugar (organic sugar)
  • 3/4 cup silken tofu
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup almond milk (So Delicious vanilla coconut milk)
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter (Crazy Richards crunchy it's all we had)
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder (part dark, part regular, it's what we had)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2/3 cup flour (1/2 whole wheat pastry and 1/2 white flour)
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar
  • handful of chocolate chips (vegan) (mega chunk)
Bake for 40-45 mins at 350 degrees (mine were done in about 35)

You pretty much assemble and mix in order. Just don't over mix. His directions are actually given during the webisode which again I highly recommend if not for the recipe but comic content.

As I mentioned they aren't bad and Aaron has given them 2 thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment