Thursday, December 27, 2012

Final Vegetarian Cooking Class

Sorry I really am a tad behind (ok a lot behind) but you know all those pre-holiday activities that get in the way. Then of course you have to do your daily 9-5 so I give a whole lot of credit to those daily bloggers, I tip my hat or raise my fork in the case of food bloggers for their dailies!

Our final vegetarian cooking class was November 26th. Not only was it our last class but a mini holiday party too.  Chef Christina brought in festive paper products and some soy nog. Sadly I just realized it was the only soy nog I've had this holiday season because I can't seem to find it anywhere this year. And it's not for a lack of trying believe me.  Chef's assistant Bill brought a chocolate cake, a very dangerous chocolate cake that was in no way vegan,vegetarian or healthy in any way shape or form. See photo proof, you'll have to trust me on the taste, it was good. I'm still trying to get the recipe.

Every kitchen made a pizza (or 2), there were also salads and my favorite were the chocolate cupcakes. They were gluten free and had a cashew creme frosting. Who knew that stuff could taste so good.


Yes we know, don't kiss the cook, bring him a beer!

Since I made it widely known that I LOVE potatoes of every shape, preparation and form our kitchen got to do a potato & carmelized onion pizza.  Here is Aaron displaying our potato pizza along with his new handmade apron. This was a white pizza no red sauce,  olive oil, onions, potatoes that were blanched a new technique for me and I think the green on there was basil, parsley...can't quite remember.


Two of the kitchens made the gluten free chocolate cupcakes with 2 different types of gluten free flour. I especially liked one more than the other and of course it's the more expensive and I'm pretty sure has to be mail-ordered to get it. Our kitchen, actually me personally. made the cashew creme frosting. I've always wanted to make a frosting like this because it uses raw cashews and dates. I'm including the recipe for the cupcakes and frosting. I don't see any other reference on my sheet, so credit will go to Chef Christina for these.

Chocolate Cupcakes

Ingredients
1 ½  cups all purpose gluten free flour
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda                                                         
¾ tsp salt                         
1 avocado, pitted and peeled
1 cup pure maple syrup
¾ cup rice or almond milk
1/3 cup coconut oil
2 tsp gluten free vanilla extract

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 F. Oil muffin pan with coconut oil. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl. Puree avocado in a food processor until smooth. Add maple syrup, milk, oil and vanilla and blend til creamy. Whisk avocado mixture into flour mixture.

Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan. Bake 25 minutes or til toothpick comes out clean with some crumbs attached. Frost with “Cashew Crème Frosting”.

 Cashew Crème Frosting

Ingredients
2/3 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup dates, pitted and chopped (use Medjool dates if available)
1 cup raw cashews
½ tsp vanilla extract

Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend together until smooth. If it is too thick add a touch more coconut milk to thin slightly. Store in fridge.
 

Here are us 3 cooking fools from our kitchen with pizza's in hand. This was our wonderful teammate Gail. Sorry Gail if you really are in the witness protection program I've outed you and you'll have to move.

 
 
 
 
We really did enjoy the class, learned a lot of new techniques and gained confidence in some  previous cooking skills. We're hoping and looking forward to taking another class with Chef Christina, hope she does another soon.
 
Final photos 
    
The evening's pizza extravaganza

Class Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment